Courtesy of landmarkconference.org.
TOWSON, Md. – The Landmark Conference has placed a priority on excellent sportsmanship since the first conference contest took place during the fall of 2007.
In the summer of 2015, the Landmark made sportsmanship and improving game environment a focus at all eight member institutions. As a continuation of that initiative, the conference and its member institutions are focusing specifically on fan behavior towards officials and game environment expectations for the 2017-18 season.
Fair and respectful conduct toward all participants, officials, and supports is a tenant of Division III, one that the Landmark and its members strive to achieve at all times. Conference members believe that outstanding sportsmanship and civility are important expectations for all participants to experience at each athletic event, particularly at contests between conference members.
These are our principles for fans attending our events:
- Support our family - cheer for our team, not against our opponent
- Do not get personal in your comments about players, coaches, or officials
- No profanity, vulgarity, racist, or sexist comments
- Treat fellow fans, event staff, and officials with respect
- Give players, coaches and officials their space by keeping away from the playing and team bench areas
- Fans not in compliance with these principles may be removed from the event site
With the anticipation of Landmark play kicking off, the conference and its members will reiterate their sportsmanship values, which are consistent with the philosophy of NCAA Division III, at contests and via social media.