Royals Trip Crusaders, 8-1, For Second Straight Win Saturday
|Devin Patel||Michael O'Malley|
|Tim McGurrin||Mike Pannone|
SCRANTON, Pa.—The University of Scranton men’s tennis team won its second straight match by downing Susquehanna University, 8-1, in Landmark Conference action at the Royal Courts Saturday afternoon.
Scranton, now 3-4 overall and 2-1 in the conference, received two wins apiece from seniors Tim McGurrin (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Preparatory), Joe Morra (Bronx, NY/Fordham Preparatory), and Mike Pannone (Maplewood, NJ/Seton Hall Preparatory), and junior David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon).
Freshman Michael O’Malley (Middletown, NJ/Christian Brothers Academy) and the doubles team of seniors Bennett Kelley (Pennington, NJ/Hopewell Valley Central) and Devin Patel (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Preparatory) also picked up a point for Scranton today.
McGurrin’s win in singles, a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Michael Hickey at the number one spot in the lineup, was the 33rd of his career while Pannone notched his 38th with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Mats Haaland at four. Morra picked up his 44th career victory when Jeremy Neville retired after dropping the first game in the first set.
The Royals will travel to Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, on Monday, April 15, to take on Juniata College in Landmark Conference action beginning at 3:30 p.m.
The results of today’s match are as follows:
Scranton 8, Susquehanna 1
1. Tim McGurrin/David Teres (S) def. Michael Hickey/Garrett Lynn, 8-4
2. Joe Morra/Mike Pannone (S) def. Mats Haaland/Jeremy Neville, 8-0
3. Bennett Kelley/Devin Patel (S) def. Ian Endresen/Kevin Schneider, 8-1
1. Tim McGurrin (S) def. Michael Hickey, 6-0, 6-1
2. David Teres (S) def. Garrett Lynn, 6-0, 6-0
3. Joe Morra (S) def. Jeremy Neville, 1-0, retired
4. Mike Pannone (S) def. Mats Haaland, 6-1, 6-3
5. Michael O'Malley (S) def. Ian Endresen, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Kevin Schneider (SUS) def. Kevin Murphy, 6-3, 6-3
Susquehanna 4-11/1-5 Landmark
University of Scranton 3-4/2-1 Landmark