Royals Blank Juniata, 9-0, Monday Afternoon
|Bennett Kelley||Tim McGurrin|
|David Teres||Devin Patel|
HUNTINGDON, Pa.—The University of Scranton men’s tennis team has been on a tear since losing its Landmark Conference season-opener nine days ago.
Since then, the Royals have won three straight league matches by a combined score of 26-1, including today’s 9-0 victory over Juniata College.
Scranton, now 4-4 overall and 3-1 in the conference, will look to carry its momentum into Thursday’s match against 5-time defending Landmark Conference champion Drew University at 4:00 p.m. at the Royal Courts. The Rangers have defeated the Royals in the championship match of the Landmark tournament in each of the past three seasons.
Senior Joe Morra (Bronx, NY/Fordham Preparatory) reached a personal milestone for the Royals today, recording his 45th career victory in singles by downing Bryan Gregory, 6-2, 6-0, at three. He is now 6-2 this year and 45-24 in his career.
Morra was one of five Royals today to win both of their matches. He teamed with fellow senior Mike Pannone (Maplewood, NJ/Seton Hall Preparatory) to defeated Gregory and Elliott Perow, 8-5, at the number two doubles. Pannone improved to 5-3 this year and 39-25 in his career in singles with a 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4) victory at four.
Scranton’s other double-winners were seniors Tim McGurrin (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Preparatory) and Bennett Kelley (Pennington, NJ/Hopewell Valley Central) and junior David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon). Also picking up wins were seniors Devin Patel (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Preparatory) and James Dalkiewicz (Shavertown, Pa./Lake-Lehman).
The results of today’s match are as follows:
Scranton 9, Juniata 0
1. Tim McGurrin/David Teres (S) def. Brice Morey/Justin Wisniewski, 8-4
2. Joe Morra/Mike Pannone (S) def. Bryan Gregory/Elliott Perow, 8-5
3. Bennett Kelley/Devin Patel (S) def. Michael Lifshitz/Tucker Good, 8-2
1. Tim McGurrin (S) def. Justin Wisniewski, 6-2, 6-0
2. David Teres (S) def. Elliott Perow, 6-2, 6-0
3. Joe Morra (S) def. Bryan Gregory, 6-2, 6-2
4. Mike Pannone (S) def. Brice Morey, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Bennett Kelley (S) def. Michael Lifshitz, 7-5, 6-1
6. James Dalkiewicz (S) def. Max Weiss, 6-0, 6-1