Cardinals Squeeze Royals, 5-4, In Landmark Action Saturday
|Joe Morra||Mike Pannone|
WASHINGTON, DC—The University of Scranton men’s
tennis team suffered a 5-4 loss to Catholic University in its
Landmark Conference opener Saturday afternoon.
Seniors Joe Morra (Bronx, NY/Fordham Preparatory) and Mike Pannone (Maplewood, NJ/Seton Hall Preparatory) won two matches apiece and junior David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon) picked up a victory in singles for the Royals, now 1-4 overall and 0-1 in the conference.
Morra and Pannone improved to 2-2 in doubles on the season by downing Kyle Kramer and Joe Peters, 8-2, at the number two position.
In singles, Morris improved to 3-2 on the year with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kramer at three and Pannone is now 2-3 after downing Peters at four, 6-0, 7-5. Teres downed Cassian Utrie, 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) at two to improve his season mark to 3-2.
The Royals will return to Landmark Conference action this Tuesday, April 7, against Moravian College in Bethlehem beginning at 4:00 p.m.
The results of today’s match are as follows
Catholic 5, Scranton 4
1. Bradley/Utrie (C) defeated McGurrin/Teres, 8-6
2. Morra/Pannone (S) defeated Kramer/Peters, 8-2
3. Hayward/Quisberth (C) defeated Kelley/Patel, 8-6
1. Brian Bradley (C) defeated Tim McGurrin, 6-4, 6-0
2. David Teres (S) defeated Cassian Utrie, 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Joe Morra (S) defeated Kyle Kramer, 6-3, 6-3
4. Mike Pannone (S) defeated Joe Peters, 6-0, 7-5
5. Schuyler Hayward (C) defeated Bennett Kelley, 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
6. Jason Quisberth (C) defeated James Dalkiewicz, 6-0, 6-4