|David Teres||Tim McGurrin|
HILTON HEAD, SC—The Oneonta State University men’s tennis team won four of six singles matches to pull out a 5-4 victory over The University of Scranton Thursday morning.
The Royals, now 1-3, took a 2-1 lead after doubles play before the Red Dragons came back to pull out the victory.
Junior David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon) won both of his matches today for Scranton, teaming with senior Tim McGurrin (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Preparatory) to record a 8-4 victory over Michael Kennelly and Mackenzie Park at the number one doubles. In singles, Teres improved to 2-2 on the year with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Tyler Crill at the number two spot in the lineup.
The Royals' other win in singles was recorded by senior Bennett Kelley (Pennington, NJ/Hopewell Valley Central), who carded a 6-2, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-3) win at the number six position in the lineup.
With today’s victory in doubles, McGurrin and Teres are now 2-2 on the season.
Scranton also won the number two doubles, as seniors Joe Morra (Bronx, NY/Fordham Preparatory) and Mike Pannone (Maplewood, NJ/Seton Hall Preparatory) defeated Crill and Benjamin Leighton, 8-6, to move to 1-2 as a doubles team on the season.
The Royals will return home and take on five-time defending Landmark Conference champion Drew University this Wednesday, April 3, at 3:00 p.m. at the Royal Courts. Scranton and Drew have played each other in the championship match of the Landmark Conference tournament in each of the last three seasons.
The results of today’s match are as follows:
SUNY Oneonta 6, Scranton 3
1. Tim McGurrin/David Teres (S) def. Michael Kennelly/Mackenzie Park, 8-4
2. Joe Morra/Mike Pannone (S) def. Tyler Crill/Benjamin Leighton, 8-6
3. Trevor Mitchel/Adam Slifkin (OS) def. Bennett Kelley/Brian Williams, 8-6
1. Michael Kennelly (OS) def. Tim McGurrin, 6-3, 7-5
2. David Teres (S) def. Tyler Crill, 6-2, 6-0
3. Benjamin Leighton (OS) def. Joe Morra, 6-3, 6-3
4. Mackenzie Park (OS) def. Mike Pannone, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
5. Adam Slifkin (OS) def. Brian Williams, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Bennett Kelley (S) def. Trevor Mitchel, 6-2, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-3)