SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Five players earned two victories apiece to lead The University of Scranton men's tennis team to an 8-1 victory at Susquehanna on Thursday afternoon in the final regular season match for the Royals.
Senior Brian Williams (Madison, N.J./Madison), juniors Ryan Bair (Leola, Pa./Lancaster Catholic) and Kevin Prendergast (Flanders, N.J./Mt. Olive), and freshmen Matt Prendergast (Flanders, N.J./Mt. Olive) and Michael Pottieger (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing Area) each had singles and doubles victories as Scranton improved to 7-4 overall and 5-2 in Landmark Conference play.
Williams picked up a singles victory at No. 2 when his opponent retired with Williams leading, 6-4, 4-0 in the second set. He also combined with sophomore Kevin Murphy (Greenbelt, Md./Gonzaga College H.S.) for a win at No. 2 doubles.
Kevin Prendergast rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles and teamed with Pottieger for an 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles. His brother, Matt, picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win at the top of the singles lineup and teamed with Bair for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles.
Bair cruised, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3 singles while Pottieger earned a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 5 singles.
Scranton, the third seed, will now prepare for next week's Landmark Conference playoffs when they take on second-seeded Catholic in a semifinal on Wednesday, April 23, at 3:15 p.m. in Washington, D.C.
Scranton 8, Susquehanna 1
1. Matt Prendergast (Sc) def. Jeremy Neville, 6-4, 6-4
2. Brian Williams (Sc) def. Dan Kinney, 6-4, 4-0 (ret.)
3. Ryan Bair (Sc) def. Long Hoang, 6-0, 6-1
4. Taylor Haussener (Su) def. Kevin Murphy, 2-6, 7-5, 11-9
5. Michael Pottieger (Sc) def. Matt Weller, 6-3, 6-1
6. Kevin Prendergast (Sc) def. Blake Zafirson, 6-1, 6-1
1. Bair-M. Prendergast (Sc) def. Neville-Kinney, 8-4
2. Williams-Murphy (Sc) def. Haussener-Hoang, 8-2
3. K. Prendergast-Pottieger (Sc) def. Andrew Parrish-Rob Lloyd, 8-1