MADISON, N.J. – With the match on the line, University of Scranton freshman David Commender (Larchmont, N.Y./Iona Prep) pulled out a three-set victory to lift the Royals' men's tennis team to a 5-4 victory over Drew on Saturday evening.
Commender rebounded after dropping the second set to defeat Drew's Nick Lantieri, 6-4, 0-6, 6-0, to secure the decisive fifth point for Scranton (4-2, 2-0 Landmark).
The Royals also received two wins apiece from seniors David Teres (Lebanon, N.J./North Hunterdon) and Brian Williams (Madison, N.J./Madison). Teres earned a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles while Williams picked up a 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) win at No. 3 singles. The pair also teamed for an 8-5 victory at No. 1 doubles.
Senior James Dalkiewicz (Shavertown, Pa./Lake-Lehman) also picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles for Scranton.
The Royals return to action on Saturday, April 5, when they host Juniata at 1 p.m. at Royal Courts.
Scranton 5, Drew 4
1. David Teres (S) def. Tim Butschi, 6-0, 6-0
2. Adam Clark (D) def. Matt Prendergast, 6-4, 6-2
3. Brian Williams (S) def. Vin Mahon, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Scott Vander Veen (D) def. Kevin Murphy, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. James Dalkiewicz (S) def. Derek McMullen, 6-1, 6-0
6. David Commender (S) def. Nick Lantieri, 6-4, 0-6, 6-0