Royals Lock Up Landmark Berth With 7-2 Win Over USMMA On Sunday
|Matt Prendergast||Michael O'Malley|
|James Dalkiewicz||Ryan Bair|
SCRANTON, Pa.—Behind two wins apiece from freshman Matt Prendergast (Flanders, NJ/Mt. Olive) and sophomore Michael O’Malley (Middletown, NJ/Christian Brothers Academy), The University of Scranton men’s tennis team locked up a berth in the upcoming Landmark Conference tournament with a 7-2 victory over the Merchant Marine Academy at the Royal Courts.
Prendergast teamed with freshman Michael Pottieger (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing Area) to defeat Karl Sasse and Jack Walsh, 8-2, at the number two doubles, then out-lasted Christian Miller in three sets, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9) at the number two singles. O’Malley and his partner, sophomore Kevin Murphy (Greenbelt, Md./Gonzaga College High School), turned back Miller and Derek Acuna, 8-1, at the three doubles before O'Malley posted a straight-set win, 6-4, 6-0, over Acuna at six singles.
Scranton, now 6-4 overall and 4-2 in the conference, went up 3-0 after doubles play as seniors David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon) and Brian Williams (Madison, NJ/Madison) completed the sweep with an 8-6 win over James Hicks and Geri Villan at the number one doubles.
Also picking up wins in singles today for the Royals were junior Ryan Bair (Leola, Pa./Lancaster Catholic), who downed Villan, 6-4, 6-3, at three, and senior James Dalkiewicz (Shavertown, Pa./Lake-Lehman), who downed Sasse, 6-2, 6-2, at four.
With today’s win, Dalkiewicz is now 8-5 this year and 14-9 in his career in singles.
The Royals will host Ursinus College this Wednesday, April 16, at 4:00 p.m. at the Royal Courts. The match is open to the public and admission is free.
The results of today’s match are as follows:
Scranton 7, Merchant Marine 2
1. David Teres/Brian Williams (SCRMT14) def. James Hicks/Geri Villan (USMMA) 8-6
2. Michael Pottieger/Matt Prendergast (SCRMT14) def. Karl Sasse/Jack Walsh (USMMA) 8-2
3. Michael O'Malley/Kevin Murphy (SCRMT14) def. Christian Miller/Derek Acuna (USMMA) 8-1
1. James Hicks (USMMA) def. David Teres (SCRMT14) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Matt Prendergast (SCRMT14) def. Christian Miller (USMMA) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Ryan Bair (SCRMT14) def. Geri Villan (USMMA) 6-4, 6-3
4. James Dalkiewicz (SCRMT14) def. Karl Sasse (USMMA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jack Walsh (USMMA) def. Kevin Murphy (SCRMT14) 7-5, retired
6. Michael O'Malley (SCRMT14) def. Derek Acuna (USMMA) 6-4, 6-0