|David Teres||Michael Pottieger|
|Matt Prendergast||Brian Williams|
SCRANTON, Pa.—The University of Scranton men’s
tennis team was in prime position to hand Juniata College its first
loss of the season Saturday afternoon at the Royal Courts.
Instead, the Eagles won five of six singles matches to erase a 2-1 deficit after doubles en route to a 6-3 victory.
With the win, Juniata improves to 11-0 overall and 4-0 in the Landmark Conference. The loss drops the Royals to 4-3 overall and 2-1 in conference play.
Senior David Teres (Lebanon, NJ/North Hunterdon) picked up a confidence-building win at the number one singles, defeating Dean Polisena, 6-1, 6-2, to snap Polisena’s 10-match winning streak. Teres is now 5-4 this year and 33-15 in his career.
In doubles, Teres and fellow senior Brian Williams (Madison, NJ/Madison) downed Polisena and Logan Moore, 9-7, to improve to 5-0 on the season.
Scranton also picked up another point when freshmen Michael Pottieger (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) and Matt Prendergast (Flanders, NJ/Mt. Olive) downed Bryan Gregory and Justin Wisniewski, 8-6, at two. It was their first win as a doubles team this season.
The Royals will host Moravian College in Landmark Conference action this Wednesday, April 9, beginning at 3:30 p.m. at the Royal Courts.
The results of today’s match are as follows:
Juniata 6, Scranton 3
1. David Teres/Brian Williams (SCRMT14) def. Dean Polisena/Logan Moore (JUNM) 9-7
2. Michael Pottieger/Matt Prendergast (SCRMT14) def. Bryan Gregory/Justin Wisniewski (JUNM) 8-6
3. Michael Lifshitz/Elliott Perow (JUNM) def. Kevin Murphy/Michael O'Malley (SCRMT14) 8-3
1. David Teres (SCRMT14) def. Dean Polisena (JUNM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Justin Wisniewski (JUNM) def. Matt Prendergast (SCRMT14) 6-2, 6-1
3. Elliott Perow (JUNM) def. Brian Williams (SCRMT14) 7-5, 6-3
4. Bryan Gregory (JUNM) def. Kevin Murphy (SCRMT14) 6-1, 6-1
5. Logan Moore (JUNM) def. James Dalkiewicz (SCRMT14) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Michael Lifshitz (JUNM) def. David Commender (SCRMT14) 6-3, 6-4
Juniata College 11-0/4-0 Landmark
Unversity of Scranton 4-3/2-1 Landmark
Official: James Zerbe