|Christian Aksu||Brian Harkins|
MADISON, N.J. - The University of Scranton men's tennis team won two of three matches in doubles, then four more in singles, as the Royals remained unbeaten in conference play on Wednesday with a 6-3 victory at Drew.
With the win, Scranton moved to 6-7 overall and 4-0 in the Landmark, while Drew dropped to 14-3 overall and 3-2 in the Landmark with the win.
In doubles play, Scranton got off to a good start, winning two of the three matches contested to go up 2-1 into singles.
Taking the first win of the day for Scranton was the team of sophomore's Christian Aksu (Exton, Pa./West Chester East) and Brian Harkins (New Fairfield, Conn./New Fairfield) rolled to an 8-2 win at number three.
In singles, Scranton only dropped matches in the top two spots in the lineup, sweeping matches in the three through six spots, all in straight sets.
At number three, senior Matt Prendergast (Flanders, N.J./Mt. Olive) was a 7-6 (7-0), 6-4 winner, which was followed up by a 6-2, 6-1 win by sophomore Charles Swope (Malvern, Pa./Great Valley) at number four. In the number five spot, Harkins rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 win, while Aksu collected the final win of the day for Scranton at number six, 6-2, 6-0.
The University of Scranton men's tennis team returns to action on Thursday, traveling to Moravian for another Landmark Conference match-up. First serve is set for 4 p.m.
Scranton 6, Drew 3
Apr 19, 2017 at Madison, N.J. (Drew Tennis Complex)
1. Salikh Gilmutdinov (DREW) def. Keller McGurrin (SCRANTON) 6-0, 6-4
2. Vineet Vemulapally (DREW) def. Alexander Ochalski (SCRANTON) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
3. Matt Prendergast (SCRANTON) def. Geoffrey Diehl (DREW) 7-6 (7-0), 6-4
4. Charles Swope (SCRANTON) def. Will Morrison (DREW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brian Harkins (SCRANTON) def. Kevin Shulca (DREW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Christian Aksu (SCRANTON) def. Bryce Weizer (DREW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Keller McGurrin/Alexander Ochalski (SCRANTON) def. Vineet Vemulapally/Geoffrey Diehl (DREW) 8-4
2. Salikh Gilmutdinov/Will Morrison (DREW) def. Matt Prendergast/Michael Pottieger (SCRANTON) 8-3
3. Christian Aksu/Brian Harkins (SCRANTON) def. Chris Thompson/Kevin Shulca (DREW) 8-2