Women’s Tennis Rolls To 9-0 Victory At Susquehanna
SELINSGROVE, Pa. – The University of Scranton women's tennis team completed regular season play with an unbeaten record in Landmark Conference play after posting a 9-0 victory at Susquehanna on Thursday afternoon.
Five players posted both singles and doubles victories as Scranton improved to 9-6 overall and 6-0 in Landmark play.
Senior Devon Cohen (Ambler, Pa./Hatboro-Horsham) picked up a 6-0, 5-7, 10-7 win at No. 1 singles after teaming with sophomore Emily Walsh (Scranton, Pa./Scranton Prep) for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles. Walsh rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles.
Junior Megan Azzalina (Easton, Pa./Notre Dame) had a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles after teaming with freshman Emily Machado (Fishkill, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes) for an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles. Junior Nicole Mahaffey (Harrisburg, Pa./Trinity) also had a 6-1, 6-1 singles win at No. 4, and fellow junior Lisa-Marie Lanciotti (Northport, N.Y./Kings Park) was a 6-3, 6-1 winner at No. 5 singles. Mahaffey and Lanciotti also teamed for an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles.
Sophomore Courtney Barron (New City, N.Y./Clarkstown South) also had a 6-3, 1-6, 10-5 victory at No. 6 singles.
Scranton will open defense of its Landmark Conference title as the top seed when it hosts a semifinal on Tuesday, April 22, at Royal Courts against an opponent to be determined.
Scranton 9, Susquehanna 0
1. Devon Cohen def. Shelby O'Riley, 6-0, 5-7, 10-7
2. Emily Walsh def. Brielle Ferlauto, 6-1, 6-0
3. Megan Azzalina def. Christine Bender, 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicole Mahaffey def. Claire Smyth, 6-1, 6-1
5. Lisa-Marie Lanciotti def. Alyssa Fleischman, 6-3, 6-1
6. Courtney Barron def. Kelly Furlong, 6-3, 1-6, 10-5
1. Cohen-Walsh def. O'Riley-Ferlauto, 8-6
2. Mahaffey-Lanciotti def. Smyth-Fleischman, 8-3
3. Azzalina-Emily Machado def. Bender-Megan Rudloff, 8-2