Recreational Sports Facilities (Update: Aug. 19, 2020)
The Byron Recreational Complex contains three newly re-surfaced courts with a 1/10 mile track around the perimeter. Each court can be used for basketball, volleyball, badminton, tennis, and a variety of other activities.
The 1st floor of the building houses a six-lane pool and locker rooms containing both saunas and steam rooms. Also located on this level, are three racquetball/handball courts, a dance aerobics room, and the cycling room.
Byron Pool will reopen on Monday, August 24th at 7:30 a.m. To ensure a safe reopening, pool rules/expectations are as follows:
- Lane Reservations are required to participate in Open Swim as no walk-ins are allowed. Sessions will be limited to 1 swimmer per lane, per hour
- Students/faculty/staff can register for a 1-hour time block through IMLeagues.com (Users will have to sign up for an IMLeagues account using their @scranton.edu email address and Royal ID)
- Swimmers should check in with the on-duty lifeguards 5 mins prior to the start of your shift, will have 55 mins in the water, and 5 mins to clear the lane. Swimmers are encouraged to swim in the middle of the lane
- A lane can be reserved as much as 24 hours in advance
- Locker rooms are available for bathroom use. Steam rooms/saunas will NOT be available and lockers are not to be used for storage overnight
- Masks are required in the locker rooms AND when walking out on the pool deck. They can be removed when ready to get into the water
- Please bring your own training equipment
- For the full reopening measures for the Byron Pool, CLICK HERE.
The 2nd floor contains the gallery overlooking the pool, ping pong tables, and a multi-purpose room (the Royals Room).
The Fitness Center is located on Mulberry Street in Pilarz Hall and was constructed in 2011. This 14,000 square foot facility is home to 50 pieces of cardio equipment, each equipped with individual cardio theatre, as well as 22 pieces of Cybex VR3 selectorized weight machines and a state of the art free weight area. Proper attire, including full t-shirts, and close toe shoes, are required.
The Fitness Center will reopen on Monday, Aug. 17 at 6 AM. To ensure a safe reopening of the facility, the following measures have been put in place:
- Usage of the fitness center will be by appointment only and limited to 50 people/session. Students, faculty, and staff will register for 90-minute blocks though IMLeagues.com. (Users will have to sign-up for an IM Leagues account using their Royal ID).
- 75 of those minutes will be work out time with 5 minutes for check-in and 10 minutes for wiping down/clearing the facility.
- Reservations can be made 24 hours prior to work out time (example: reservations for Monday morning at 6 a.m. will open on Sunday morning at 6 a.m.).
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 6 a.m.-7:30 a.m. will be designated as faculty/staff only time. Faculty and staff will not be required to register in advance on these days. Usage of the facility by faculty or staff at any other time will require reservation through IMLeagues.com.
- Masks will be required at all times in the fitness center. (machines will be spaced to allow for social distancing).
- For the full reopening measures for the Fitness Center, CLICK HERE.
The John Long Center is located adjacent to the Byron Complex and includes a gymnasium, weight room, wrestling room, locker rooms, and coaches' offices. The Long Center gymnasium is used predominantly for varsity competition and practices but may be open for recreational activities at certain times of the year.
Fitzpatrick Field is the outdoor athletic field used in conjunction with varsity athletics. This turfed field is used for intramural flag football, ultimate frisbee, soccer, and softball.