Student-athletes at The University of Scranton have always embraced the academic and athletic balance that comes with being a student-athlete at the NCAA Division III level. The University and its student-athletes will celebrate those ideals and others associated with Division III athletics along with other institutions across the country during NCAA Division III Week on April 4-10.
The NCAA describes Division III Week as "a positive opportunity for all individuals associated with Division III to observe and celebrate the impact of athletics and of student-athletes on the campus and surrounding community." Throughout the week, colleges and universities are encouraged to engage in outreach activities that emphasize academic accomplishment, athletic experience, and leadership, community service and campus involvement.
The University of Scranton athletics department, through the hard work of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), will hold numerous events to celebrate NCAA Division III Week. Events include:
Monday, April 4
- "Cream Your Coach" Fundraiser
- From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the DeNaples Center, student-athletes can donate money in their team's designated bucket. The team that raises the most money will have the opportunity to throw a pie in their coach's face at the end of the week. All money donated will go to Special Olympics.
- #WhyD3 social media push
- Student-athletes will be encouraged to post on social media the reasons they love being an NCAA Division III athlete while using the #WhyD3 hashtag.
Tuesday, April 5
- "It's On Us" SAAC Meeting
- The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will welcome guest speaker Jen LaPorta, the University's Title IX Coordinator, for a presentation on the "It's On Us" initiative, a pledge to keep men and women safe from sexual assault. SAAC will team with LaPorta to work on a video promoting the "It's On Us" movement on campus.
- One Love Foundation Fundraiser
- The women's lacrosse team will collect donations and sell baked goods to raise money for the One Love Foundation during the team's game against Oneonta State, which starts at 7 p.m. The One Love Foundation was founded in 2010 in memory of Yeardley Love, a women's lacrosse player at the University of Virginia who was murdered by her boyfriend. The Foundation works with young people around the country to raise awareness about the warning signs of abuse and relationship violence.
Wednesday, April 6
- Pass The Torch
- A torch will be passed around campus by student-athletes throughout the day. Student-athletes are asked to take a photo each time the torch is passed and tweet the photo and include @ScrantonSAAC in the tweet.
- Student-athletes are encouraged to wear their team gear as part of the Landmark Conference's gear day. Student-athletes and teams can share pictures in their team gear on social medial using the hashtag #LCGearDay.
Thursday, April 7
- "Cream Your Coach" Continues
- It's the final day to donate in the "Cream Your Coach" challenge. Donations can be made from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the DeNaples Center. The winning team will have the opportunity to throw a whipped cream pie in their coach's face at the end of the week.
Friday, April 8
- Faculty Mentor Connection
- Teams are encouraged to meet with their faculty mentor for coffee or lunch. The faculty mentors are an integral part of the athletics experience at Scranton, helping students deal with issues they face both in and out of the classroom.
- "Cream Your Coach" Finale
- The winning team in the "Cream Your Coach" challenge receives the ultimate reward – a whipped cream pie to deliver directly to their coach's face!
Saturday, April 9
- Ice Cream Saturday
- An ice cream truck will provide free ice cream to all student-athletes who attend the men's lacrosse game against Susquehanna at 1 p.m. at Fitzpatrick Field. Student-athletes are asked to wear their team gear to the game and to see head women's soccer coach Colleen Pivirotto for a ticket for free ice cream.
For more information on NCAA Division III Week, visit http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-iii-week-2016.