Student-athletes at The University of Scranton have always embraced the academic and athletic balance that comes with being a student-athlete at the NCAA Division III level. The University and its student-athletes will celebrate those ideals and others associated with Division III athletics along with other institutions across the country during NCAA Division III Week on April 3-9.
The NCAA describes Division III Week as "a positive opportunity for all individuals associated with Division III to observe and celebrate the impact of athletics and of student-athletes on the campus and surrounding community." Throughout the week, colleges and universities are encouraged to engage in outreach activities that emphasize academic accomplishment, athletic experience, and leadership, community service and campus involvement.
The University of Scranton athletics department, through the hard work of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), will hold numerous events to celebrate NCAA Division III Week. Events begin on Sunday, April 2, and include:
Sunday, April 2
- A Day In The Life of a Division III Student-Athlete – Seth Bower, baseball
- Junior infielder Seth Bower (Newtown, Pa./Marple Newtown) will take over the athletics department Instagram account (@royalathletics) to give fans a look at a typical game day of a student-athlete. The baseball team hosts Elizabethtown in a Landmark Conference game at noon.
Monday, April 3
- #WhyD3 social media push
- Student-athletes will be encouraged to post on social media the reasons they love being an NCAA Division III athlete while using the #WhyD3 hashtag.
- The athletics department will post relevant facts and information about NCAA Division III on its Twitter and Instagram accounts. Follow @royalathletics on both platforms to join in.
Tuesday, April 4
- Why D3 Photo Booth
- Students across campus can have their photo taken with Iggy, the University mascot, to help promote and support Division III athletics. All students who participate will be entered into a drawing for a raffle prize. Free cookies will be available, as well as stickers promoting the athletics department social media accounts.
Wednesday, April 5
- Student-athletes are encouraged to wear their team gear and post photos on social media with the hashtag #LCGearDay to promote unity across the Landmark Conference (@landmarkconf).
Thursday, April 6
- A Day In The Life of a Division III Student-Athlete – Hannah DeMars, women's soccer
- Junior midfielder Hannah DeMars (Cranford, N.J./Cranford) will take over the athletics department Instagram account (@royalathletics) to give fans a look into a typical day during the spring season for a fall sport athlete.
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee meeting – 12 p.m., Long Center 151
Friday, April 7
- Why D3 Trivia
- The athletics department will post trivia questions on Twitter throughout the day, with questions covering NCAA Division III athletics and athletics at The University of Scranton. All correct answers will be entered into a drawing for one of four different prizes.
Saturday, April 8
- Game Day
- The athletics department will celebrate NCAA Division III week at the women's lacrosse game against Moravian at 1 p.m. at Fitzpatrick Field.
- Men's and women's soccer alumni games – the men's and women's soccer teams will welcome alumni back to campus for the annual alumni games. The women's game kicks off at 4 p.m., followed by the men's game at 6. Both games will be held at Fitzpatrick Field.
For more information on NCAA Division III Week, visit http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-iii-week-2017.