Student-athletes at The University of Scranton have always embraced the academic and athletic balance that comes with being a student-athlete at the NCAA Division III level. The University and its student-athletes will celebrate those ideals and others associated with Division III athletics along with other institutions across the country during NCAA Division III Week on April 1-7.
The NCAA describes Division III Week as "a positive opportunity for all individuals associated with Division III to observe and celebrate the impact of athletics and of student-athletes on the campus and surrounding community." Throughout the week, colleges and universities are encouraged to engage in outreach activities that emphasize academic accomplishment, athletic experience, and leadership, community service and campus involvement.
The University of Scranton athletics department, through the hard work of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), will hold numerous events to celebrate NCAA Division III Week. Events begin on Monday, April 2, and include:
Monday, April 2
- #WhyD3 social media push
- Student-athletes will be encouraged to post on social media the reasons they love being an NCAA Division III athlete while using the #WhyD3 hashtag.
- The athletics department will post relevant facts and information about NCAA Division III on its Twitter and Instagram accounts. Follow @royalathletics on both platforms to join in.
Tuesday, April 3
- Student-Athlete Features – Six University of Scranton student-athletes will be featured on the athletics website and social media, giving their perspective on why they enjoy being a D3 student-athlete.
- Women's lacrosse vs. Rowan, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 4
- Landmark Conference Gear Day – Student-athletes throughout the Landmark Conference are encouraged to wear their team gear and post photos on Instagram and Twitter with the hashtag #LCGearDay. Scranton student-athletes are asked to tag @royalathletics and @ScrantonSAAC, as well. A photo booth with Iggy will take place in the Long Center on the first floor from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., as well.
- Softball vs. Keystone, doubleheader, 4 p.m.
- Baseball vs. Kings, 5 p.m.
- Men's lacrosse vs. Misericordia, 6 p.m.
Thursday, April 5
- Splash Your Coach – Student-athletes can make a donation for an opportunity to hit a target and dump water on their coach, the perfect way to show appreciation for everything coaches do! The event will take place in the Byron Center beginning at 11 a.m. All donations benefit Special Olympics. The schedule of coaches is:
- 11 a.m. – Matt Pivirotto, men's soccer head coach
- 11:10 a.m. – Mark Yankovich, men's and women's swimming & diving head coach
- 11:20 a.m. – Ozzie Brown, men's and women's track & field head coach
- 11:30 a.m. – Mike Bartoletti, baseball head coach
- 11:40 a.m. – Michael Hofmeister, men's lacrosse head coach
- 11:50 a.m. – Mia Collarini-Wascura, softball head coach
- 12 p.m. – Colleen Pivirotto, women's soccer head coach
- 12:10 p.m. – Trevor Woodruff, women's basketball head coach
- 12:20 p.m. – Janice Winslow, women's tennis head coach
- 12:30 p.m. – Colleen Moyer, field hockey head coach
- 12:40 p.m. – Ryan Van Zelst, men's basketball assistant coach
- 12:50 p.m. – Rachel Perla, women's lacrosse assistant coach
- Landmark Conference Instagram Takeover – Student-athletes from Scranton will take over the Landmark Conference Instagram account (@Landmark_Conf) to give a behind-the-scenes look at what it's like to be a student-athlete at The University of Scranton.
- Baseball vs. Wilkes, 5 p.m.
Friday, April 6
- Pass the Torch – Student-athletes will pass a torch around campus throughout the day to help raise awareness of athletics on campus. The passing of the torch will begin at men's soccer practice at 7 a.m., and student-athletes will then pass the torch to a different student-athlete from a different team at any time throughout the day, posting a photo on social media while tagging @royalathletics and @ScrantonSAAC.
Saturday, April 7
- "Purple Out" Support Your Royals Day – Students and fans are encouraged to wear purple to all home events. Members of the Scranton Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will be at home events with free Rita's water ice and Philly soft pretzels for all students in attendance.
- Men's lacrosse vs. Moravian, 1 p.m.
- Men's tennis vs. Goucher, 1 p.m.
- Women's tennis vs. Goucher, 1 p.m.
- Baseball vs. St. John Fisher, doubleheader, 2 p.m.
For more information on NCAA Division III Week, visit http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-iii-week-2018.