Student-athletes at The University of Scranton embrace a balance of academics, athletics, and community involvement unique to the NCAA Division III level. The University and its student-athletes will celebrate these ideals and others associated with Division III athletics along with other institutions across the country during NCAA Division III Week on April 1-7.
The NCAA describes Division III Week as "a positive opportunity for all individuals associated with Division III to observe and celebrate the impact of athletics and of student-athletes on the campus and surrounding community."
Throughout the week, colleges and universities are encouraged to engage in outreach activities that emphasize academic accomplishment, athletic experience, and leadership, community service and campus involvement.
Led by tireless hard work of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), The University of Scranton athletic department will hold numerous events to celebrate NCAA Division III Week. Events begin on Monday, April 1, and include:
Monday, April 1 – Landmark Conference Instagram Takeover
- Student-athletes from Scranton will take over the Landmark Conference Instagram account (@Landmark_Conf) to give a behind-the-scenes look at what it's like to be a student-athlete at The University of Scranton. Each intercollegiate program will be given a one hour timeslot to showcase their team. Teams will post videos, pictures, fun facts, and trivia questions throughout the day.
Tuesday, April 2 – "SPLASH YOUR COACH"
- Student-athletes can make a donation for an opportunity to hit a target and dump water on their coach, the perfect way to show appreciation for everything coaches do! The event will take place in the Bryon Center beginning at 11 a.m. It will be $1 for one throw, $5 for six throws and $20 to push the button. Donations can be made with cash or Royal Card.
- All proceeds will be donated to Answer ALS (https://www.answerals.org) to honor our University President, Rev. Scott R. Pilarz, S.J. The Mission of Answer ALS is "to build the most comprehensive clinical, genetic, molecular & biochemical assessment of ALS, while openly sharing the results with the global research community.
- The schedule of coaches is:
- 11:00 a.m. – Ryan Van Zelst, Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
- 11:10 a.m. – Mark Yankovich, Head Swimming & Diving Coach
- 11:20 a.m. – Ozzie Brown, Head Track & Field Coach
- 11:30 a.m. – Chrissy Trescavage, Head Women's Lacrosse Coach
- 11:40 a.m. – Colleen Pivirotto, Head Women's Soccer Coach
- 11:50 a.m. – Mia Collarini-Wascura, Head Softball Coach
- 12:00 p.m. – Colleen Moyer, Head Field Hockey Coach
- 12:10 p.m. – Trevor Woodruff, Head Women's Basketball Coach
- 12:20 p.m. – Janice Winslow, Head Women's Tennis Coach
- 12:30 p.m. – Matt Pivirotto, Head Men's Soccer Coach
- 12:40 p.m. – Michael Hofmeister, Head Men's Lacrosse Coach
- 12:50 p.m. – Randy Shemanski, Associate AD & Dave Martin, Director of Athletics
- Baseball vs. King's, 5 p.m., Volpe Field
Wednesday, April 3 – #LCGEARDAY
- Student-athletes throughout the Landmark Conference are encouraged to wear their team gear and post photos on their Team Instagram with the hashtag #LCGearDay
- The Scranton student-athletes will participate in an Instagram Tag via their team's Instagram Account. Student-Athletes will post pictures or stories with teammates on their team Instagram account and then tag another team's Instagram. The team that is tagged will then post a picture and tag another team. They will also use the #LCGEARDAY in each post.
- Men's Tennis vs. Drew, 3:30 p.m., Royal Courts
- Softball vs. Wilkes, 4 p.m., Magis Field
Thursday, April 4 – Faculty Mentor Luncheon
- SAAC will sponsor a Faculty Mentor Luncheon to celebrate and thank all of the mentors who volunteer with our intercollegiate programs. At the luncheon, faculty mentors and student-athletes will participate in a round table discussion of various topics like balancing academics and athletics, communications skills, and advice for future student-athletes.
The Faculty Athletics Mentor Program aims to enhance relationships between the athletics program, student-athletes, and faculty by allowing a faculty mentor to become directly involved with a particular team. Each intercollegiate team at The University of Scranton has a faculty mentor assigned to it. The faculty mentors show support for the team and help to facilitate communication between student-athletes and faculty. The also serve as a resource for academic, career, and personal issues that student-athletes may face in their everyday lives.
Friday, April 5 – #WHYD3
- Royal Athletics will participate in #WHYD3 through alumni spotlights, Landmark Conference #WHYD3 profiles and our student-athletes participating in brother/sister team activities. Student-athletes will be encouraged to post on social media the reasons they love being an NCAA Division III student-athlete.
Saturday, April 6 – "Purple Out" Fan Appreciation Day
- Students and fans are encouraged to wear purple to all home events. Members of the Scranton Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) will be at home events with free soft pretzels and hot chocolate for all fans in attendance. We will also be participating in the Landmark SAAC "Change War" where we will collect loose change at games and compete against other Landmark Conference institutions for the change raised. All Proceeds from the Change War will go to Answer ALS.
- Baseball vs. Drew, 12:30 p.m., Volpe Field
- Men's Lacrosse vs. Goucher, 1 p.m., Volpe Field
- Men's Tennis vs. Susquehanna, 1 p.m., Royal Courts
- Women's Tennis vs. Susquehanna, 1 p.m., Royal Courts
Sunday, April 7
- Baseball vs. Drew, 12:00 p.m., Volpe Field
- Softball vs. Moravian, 1:00 p.m., Magis Field
- Women's Tennis vs. Juniata, 1:00 p.m., Royal Courts
- Men's Tennis vs. Juniata, 3:00 p.m., Royal Courts
For more information on NCAA Division III Week, click here.