SCRANTON - The University of Scranton is joining with more than 440 schools across the country in celebration of NCAA Division III Week, which officially runs from Monday, April 13 and runs through Sunday, April 19.
The NCAA describes Division III Week as "a positive opportunity for all individuals associated with Division III to observe and celebrate the impact of athletics and of student-athletes on the campus and surrounding community."
With the student-body currently off-campus due to COVID-19, the year's Division III Week will take place entirely online. And, thanks to the tireless efforts of both the Scranton Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and the Sports Information Office, D3 Week will continue on virtually in 2020.
Fans are reminded to follow Scranton Athletics on various social media channels as we celebrate D3 Week. On Instagram and Twitter, follow us @RoyalAthletics and on Facebook, search "The University of Scranton Athletics" to reach our page to follow. All three links are also available on our website, as well.
Here is the full schedule for the rest of D3 Week.
- Tuesday, April 14: Ice bucket Challenge by athletics staff, coaches and student-athletes for ALS Awareness
- A mainstay of past D3 Weeks at Scranton has been the popular "Splash Your Coach" event that raises money for charity. With everyone not on-campus, we have decided to do a virtual "Ice Bucket Challenge" that will be kicked off Tuesday morning by women's lacrosse student-athlete junior Kiera Carmody (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan). There, she will challenge all athletics staff, coaches and student-athletes to do the same, as we raise awareness for Answer ALS.
- Wednesday, April 15: Thank You to Health Care Professionals
- Various University of Scranton student-athletes will thank the people on the front lines fighting against the COVID-19 pandemic - health care professionals - with a special video that will be posted on Instagram, Facebook and on the Royals' YouTube page.
- Thursday, April 16: #TBT, a Look Back at some of the Greatest Moments in Scranton Athletics History
- On both the Royals' Instagram & Facebook stories, the greatest moments and memories in Scranton Athletics history will be posted throughout the day, highlighting each of the 23 programs the University offers. To go along with the moments, we'll also throw in some fun facts about our programs, as well!
- Friday, April 17: Scranton Student-Athletes Take Over Instagram
- Throughout the day on Friday, each team in the Scranton athletics department will take over the Royals' Instagram page, as they'll share what they've been doing at home over the last few weeks, their greatest memories, etc.
- Saturday, April 18: Fan Appreciation Day
- On Saturday, we'll thank our loyal fans near and far for supporting us not only this past year but over the years.
- Sunday, April 19: Landmark Conference Takeover Day
- The final day of D3 Week will see us hand it off to the Landmark Conference, as the conference will post profiles on both a Scranton student-athlete and a staff member. Fans can follow the Landmark on Instagram & Twitter @LandmarkConf and online at landmarkconference.org.
For more on NCAA Division III Week, click here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-iii-week-2020