|Nicholas Swift||Matt Haemmerle||Alec Mikrut|
|Conor Carey||Kieran Pues||Matt Laudadio|
Photo gallery (by Emma Black)
Senior midfielder Nicholas Swift (Lafayette Hill, Pa./Plymouth-Whitemarsh) had four goals and two assists, and The University of Scranton men's lacrosse team scored five man-up goals in a three-minute span of the third period en route to an impressive 20-5 win over Merchant Marine Academy on Saturday afternoon at Fitzpatrick Field.
Swift scored twice in the first period, once in the second and once in the fourth to lead Scranton (11-3, 3-1 Landmark) to the win, which gives the Royals their highest win total since 2008, when they finished 12-5.
The Royals led 9-3 at halftime, and Merchant Marine (9-3, 2-2 Landmark) trimmed the deficit to 10-5 midway through the third period. But Scranton took advantage of a three-minute, non-releasable penalty on the Mariners with five minutes left in the period to score five times in those three minutes and put the game away.
The 20 goals are the most scored by the Royals since they defeated Cazenovia, 20-10, on March 14, 2009, at Fitzpatrick Field. Twelve different players scored in Saturday's victory, including five players who had at least two goals. In addition to Swift, Scranton's goal-scorers included:
- Freshman attackman Matt Haemmerle (Hillsdale, N.J./Bergen Catholic) – three goals, one assist;
- Senior midfielder Alec Mikrut (Belle Mead, N.J./Montgomery) – two goals, two assists;
- Senior midfielder Josh Kasman (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) – two goals, one assist;
- Sophomore attackman Matt Carfaro (Long Valley, N.J./West Morris) – two goals, one assist;
- Senior midfielder Nick Mullery (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) – one goal, two assists;
- Junior attackman Jake Haimson (Montville, N.J./Montville) – one goal, two assists;
- Senior attackman Andrew Marone (Morristown, N.J./Seton Hall Prep) – one goal;
- Sophomore midfielder Adam Drury (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) – one goal;
- Sophomore attackman Patrick O'Rourke (Floral Park, N.Y./Chaminade) – one goal;
- Freshman midfielder Michael Pellegrino (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) – one goal.
Drury played a key role in the victory, winning 20 of 24 faceoffs, scooping up six ground balls and causing a turnover. Sophomore midfielder Conor Carey (Long Beach, N.Y./Chaminade) also played a strong game, finishing with 11 ground balls and several key plays that led to scoring opportunities.
Sophomore defender Kieran Pues (Long Beach, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial) added five ground balls, and sophomore defender Matt Laudadio (North Wales, Pa./LaSalle College H.S.) had a team-high three caused turnovers.
The Royals held an impressive 51-17 edge in shots and won 23 of the 28 faceoffs in the game. Scranton caused 24 turnovers and allowed Merchant Marine to successfully clear the ball just seven times in 21 tries. Scranton was 16 of 17 in its clear attempts and secured 42 ground balls.
Scranton will be back in action on Saturday, April 23, when they travel to Elizabethtown, Pa. to take on Elizabethtown in a Landmark Conference game at 1 p.m.