Men’s Soccer Nipped by Dickinson in Overtime, 2-1

Men’s Soccer Nipped by Dickinson in Overtime, 2-1


Box Score

The University of Scranton men's soccer team went toe-to-toe with Dickinson in its final non-conference game of the regular season on Tuesday night at Weiss Field, but the Red Devils, currently ranked sixth in the Mid-Atlantic Region, scored 2:57 into overtime to defeat the Royals, 2-1.

Dickinson improved to 8-3-2 on the season when Mohammed Kane made a nice solo effort, dribbling into Scranton's penalty area and slotting a shot just inside the right post in the 93rd minute of the contest. 

The Red Devils went ahead just three and a half minutes into Tuesday's contest as the visitors were awarded a penalty kick when Scranton was whistled for a handball in their 18-yard box.  Ward Van de Water's shot from the spot banged off the left post and slipped in just across the goal line to give Dickinson the 1-0 edge.

Despite the early deficit, Scranton (3-7-2) pushed back and generated several dangerous scoring opportunities along with a number of restarts in the middle third that Dickinson's goalkeeper did well to handle out of the air. 

The Royals would go on to finish the half with a 7-4 advantage in shots and would cash in on their final shot of the period as junior Jon Roberts (Whitehouse Station, N.J./Immaculata-Somerville) scored his second goal in as many games.  Sophomore Aidan Thornell (Summit, N.J./Saint Peter's Prep) slotted a thru-ball to Roberts, who ripped a shot just inside the near post to level the contest at 1-1 with just over two minutes remaining before the halftime break.

The goal was the seventh of Roberts' career while Thornell's assist marked the first point of his collegiate career.

Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the second half with Dickinson outshooting Scranton 11-5 over the final 45 minutes of play.

Junior goalkeeper Blake Hammert (Archbald, Pa./Scranton Prep) turned aside three shots by the Red Devils while freshman Jake Hodlofski (West Chester, Pa./Malvern Prep) came up with a huge diving save in the 85th minute after replacing Hammert to force overtime.

Dickinson's early strike in extra time sent Scranton to its third straight one-goal defeat and marked the sixth time in seven losses the Royals have fallen by a single goal.

Hammert finished with a game-high five saves for Scranton.

For the game, the Red Devils held a 16-12 edge in shots while the hosts generated five corner kick chances to three for Dickinson.

Scranton will look to get back into the win column on Saturday when it hosts Elizabethtown in a key Landmark Conference tilt starting at 1 p.m. on Weiss Field.