|Keegan Connelly||Jeremiah Oakes||William Laughlin|
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – Senior Keegan Connelly (Schnecksville, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) and freshman Jeremiah Oakes (Scranton, Pa./Scranton) won three bouts apiece to lead the efforts for The University of Scranton wrestling team at the John Reese Duals that were hosted by Wilkes University on Sunday.
Scranton toppled Penn State-Behrend by a score of 54-6 in their final dual match of the day, but dropped a tough 21-18 decision to Springfield and fell to No. 7 TCNJ, 42-7. The Royals are now 13-7 in dual matches on the season.
Here are some of the highlights on the day.
- Connelly started the day with a thrilling 5-4 victory in the heavyweight class over TCNJ's Thomas Marretta. The senior pinned Springfield's Joseph Fusco in 1:15 and tallied a forfeit victory in the match against Penn State-Behrend. Fusco is currently ranked No. 4 in the country by Intermat Magazine and 14th by D3wrestle.com
- With his three wins on the day, Connelly now ranks third in program history with 110 career wins.
- Oakes got the Royals on the board with a major against TCNJ (12-2) at 165 pounds and registered a decision against Springfield (5-0) before collecting his third win of the day via pinfall against Penn State-Behrend.
- At 174 pounds, junior William Laughlin (Lansdale, Pa./North Penn) tallied a pair of wins for Scranton with a decision over Springfield's Ryan Gray (5-2) and a pinfall against Penn State-Behrend.
- Junior Kyle Shaffer (Mahwah, N.J./Mahwah) recorded a pinfall victory for the Royals at 157 pounds against Penn State-Behrend and sophomore Aidan McNally (Scranton, Pa./Scranton) blanked his opponent, 16-0, at 184 pounds.
The University of Scranton wrestling team returns to action at the Delaware Valley Tri-Match on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 5 p.m.