Women's Soccer Eliminated From NCAA Tournament In Heart-Breaking Fashion

Senior Kelly Egan's goal in the 82nd minute tied the match and forced overtime on Saturday.
Senior Kelly Egan's goal in the 82nd minute tied the match and forced overtime on Saturday.
Kelly Egan Krissy Welsh

EDITOR'S NOTE: Corrects to say each team was successful on three of five tries in the first five shootout rounds.

Box score

WESTMINSTER, Md. – The University of Scranton women's soccer team used a dramatic rally to tie its NCAA Tournament first-round match against Connecticut College late in regulation. But neither team was able to score in either overtime period, sending the game to penalty kicks to decide who would advance.

The Royals came out on the short end, falling in the sixth round of penalty kicks as Connecticut College advanced after the 1-1 draw on Saturday at McDaniel College.

In the five-round penalty shootout, each was successful on three of five tries, sending the shootout into sudden death. When the Camels converted their attempt and the Royals could not match, Connecticut College was on to the second round on Sunday.

Scranton (17-1-2) tied the match in the 82nd minute when senior midfielder Kelly Egan (Essex Fells, N.J./West Essex) scored shortly after the Royals applied pressure with a corner kick. It was Egan's fifth goal of the season and 17th of her career. She finishes her career with 17 goals and 24 goals for 58 points. The 24 assists are sixth-most in program history and her 58 points are tied for 16th in Royals history.

Connecticut College had led since scoring in the 22nd minute, and the Camels put pressure on the Royals' defense all afternoon. The Camels finished with a 22-9 edge in shots and 7-6 in corner kicks, but Scranton senior goalkeeper Krissy Welsh (Swarthmore, Pa./Strath Haven) made seven saves to give the Royals a chance. She finishes her career with a 0.68 goals-against average, third in school history, and her 38 goals allowed are the least among all Scranton keeper who played at least 3,000 minutes in goal. She also finishes with 25 shutouts, tied for third in program history.

The match is officially recorded as a tie, meaning Scranton finishes its season with just one defeat for the first time since the 2003 season when the Royals went 23-1-1. The tie snaps the Royals' 15-match winning streak, which was its longest since that 2003 season. Scranton was making its 16th NCAA Tournament appearance and fifth under head coach Colleen Pivirotto.