|Lauren Byrne||Mark Yankovich||Audrey Campo||Elizabeth Howlin||Amber Diehl|
University of Scranton sophomore Lauren Byrne (Cranford, N.J./Cranford) was named the 2019 Landmark Conference Women's Swimmer of the Year, while the head coach of the Royals Mark Yankovich earned Women's Coach of the Year accolades, as the Landmark officially announced the All-Conference awards on Tuesday.
In all, the Royals garnered 12 All-Landmark Conference selections at this past weekend's Landmark Championships in Germantown, Maryland, as Scranton finished third as a team in the competition for the second straight season.
Byrne led the Royals all weekend with a historic performance in the pool, as she captured three individual Landmark titles and swam anchor on a victorious relay team. By taking the Landmark's Swimmer of the Year award, Byrne became just the second Royals women's swimmer to take the honor in program history, joining Erin O'Connor, who took the honor in both 2008 and 2009.
Byrne swam a leg on the winning 200-yard freestyle relay, which clocked in at 1:36.67, breaking the Landmark and meet record, before logging an NCAA B cut and the Landmark record in the 200-yard individual medley (2:06.41). She collected her second NCAA B cut and conference record of the championships in the 100-yard breaststroke and swimming 1:04.51. In the 200 yard backstroke, Byrne earned another trip to the podium after touching the wall in 2:06.70.
Yankovich, meanwhile, becomes the first Scranton coach to earn the Landmark's Coach of the Year award on the women's side since 2012. In all, the Yankovich's Royals finished with 661 total points on the weekend in Germantown, as the Royals garnered six All-Landmark Conference First Team selections on the weekend.
The full list of All-Landmark Conference selections for the women's swimming & diving team is as follows:
- 200-IM, 200-Back, 100-Breast: Lauren Byrne
- 400-IM, 200-Breast: Sophomore Audrey Campo (Clarks Summit, Pa./Scranton Prep)
- 200-Freestyle Relay: Campo, Byrne, freshman Amber Diehl (Hyde Park, N.Y./Franklin D. Roosevelt), junior Elizabeth Howlin (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown West)
- 200-IM: Senior Claire Mason (Livingston, N.J./Mt. St. Dominic Academy)
- 100-Breast: Audrey Campo
- 200-Breast: Claire Mason
- 200-Medley Relay: Mason, Byrne, Campo, sophomore Marycate O'Sullivan (Nanuet, N.Y./Nanuet)
- 400-Freestyle Relay: Diehl, Campo, Byrne, senior Emma Rose Ilseman (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central)
- 400-Medley Relay: O'Sullivan, Mason, Byrne, Campo
For the full release from the Landmark Conference, click here.
The University of Scranton women's swimming & diving team return to action this weekend, as they head to Ohio for the Kenyon Last Chance meet on Saturday and Sunday.